Master in Law with minimum 5 years of experience in (international) contract law, (international) construction law and/or public procurement law. You are fluent in English.
DEME Group, headquartered in Zwijndrecht, Belgium, is market leader in dredging, environmental and marine engineering business solutions, such as: port construction and improving maritime access worldwide. DEME has been creating land for 150 years and will continue to do so in the future.
To strengthen its legal department, DEME is looking for a Legal Counsel.
In an operational environment with an involvement in complex contract structures, with high expectations from clients and with increasing regulatory restrictions from authorities, DEME today is able to offer its worldwide clientele a total solution through a variety of innovative international contract forms (turn-key, Engineering-Procurement-Construction (EPC), Design-Build-Finance-Maintain (DBFM), Public-Private Partnership (PPP), Early Contractor Involvement (ECI), etc…) for complex dredging and marine engineering projects, in which contractual, financing and project insurance techniques go hand in hand.
Description de la fonction
You will be part of the legal department, situated at DEME’s headquarters, with an extensive and complimentary team of in-house legal counsels, each of them covering and responsible for one or more geographical areas in the world, DEME business units and particular professional domains.
Your function will mainly focus on contract law, construction law, public procurement law, at a national and international level in relation to the complex contract structures, as detailed above. You will mainly be supporting the activities of DEME Offshore.
In close cooperation with the other DEME departments, you will assist the worldwide projects before contract award, during contract execution and as from contract completion.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Analyzing (public and private) tender documents and identifying all and any possible legal aspects (contractual and extra-contractual exposures, liabilities,…) and providing hands-on advice as to these issues.
- Negotiating and drafting all sorts of commercial contracts (construction contracts, engineering contracts, shipbuilding and ship repair contracts, joint venture contracts, shareholders’ and share purchase agreements...) and being responsible for the management of the legal side of those contracts.
- Providing practical legal advice on a large scope of legal questions related to all DEME’s activities.
Following up national and international litigation in which DEME is involved.
- You hold a Master in Law.
- You have minimum 5 years of experience in aforementioned areas, preferably as a lawyer or in-house counsel in an international environment.
- You are fluent in English.
- Experience in offshore wind projects and big infrastructure works is a plus.
- You show a talent for negotiating complex contracts and transactions.
- You have strong communication and relational skills. You have an open, unprejudiced, and international view.
- You are assertive, self-confident and a true team player, and at the same time you are able to work autonomously.
- You are open-minded, flexible and stress resistant.
- You are prepared to travel for a limited period of time and at short notice.
The position offers an interesting blend of internationally oriented work in combination with a hands-on approach, which requires a willingness to get involved in the businesses.
You will closely work together with the professionals of the concerned business units / regions.
You will be offered challenging work that you can organize with a high level of autonomy and you can count on a motivating and attractive remuneration package in accordance with your seniority and experience.